...well not really. Clearly, I am blogging. I have been reading a great article "Paradise Lost and Found: Obedience, Disobedience, and Storytelling in C. S. Lewis and Philip Pullman" by Dr. Naomi Wood, and as I was reading I got to thinking about the similarities between Monsters Inc. and the harpies in the land of the dead in The Amber Spyglass.
The monsters initially feed upon the fear of children, scaring them to produce their power. Harpies, on the other hand, feed on the worst of people in Pullman's series. Yet by the end of both stories, both creatures who harm humanity end up feeding/using the opposite from humans only to find it more nourishing/powerful. The monsters find laugher more suitable. The harpies find the truth in great stories more nourishing than the misery they had previously fed upon.
Just thought I'd share because I thought it was interesting.
Back to writing my paper. :(


No comments:
Post a Comment