Yes, scheme is the right word for my future plans. My career plans are about as consistent as get rich quick schemes...so I call my life plans schemes.
So, it's taken about 2 weeks for me to get bored with work. Blergh...I should have held out for a better job. I'm also thinking that I am going to feel the same boredom with a tech writing job because my job offers a multitude of tasks, problem solving opportunities--there's a lot going on. I'm bored anyway. I think I need to find something I can have a bit more passion for.
I'm still not sure I want a PhD in English...the MA drove me nuts. I kind of think I want to go back and finish my teaching certificate, but it's hard to get a job teaching English. I'm thinking science--although I'd rather be teaching grammar to 8th graders. And, as much as I have always loved biology, I'd rather focus on physics.
I know, I know, I didn't become a teacher in the first place because I didn't want to be that mad all the time. The politics of teaching always made me soooo mad, mostly because I actually cared. I have decided that being mad is a side effect of caring, and I am never going to find a job meaningful if it doesn't make me mad.
Although, maybe I could be the next Dr. Varner/Dr. Peercy and kick college students in the rear by being both willing to add grammar, etc. to course expectations and to teach it. That's something I could care about--I did care a lot about teaching Written Communication for the Workplace. In fact, I loved teaching that class. I just didn't have time to do it well. Perhaps I should get a PhD in Composition and Rhetoric or Linguistics. Is it odd that years of PhD work sounds more appealing to me than the shorter stint going back for a bachelors in physics and education? I was also thinking I might get an MS in education and just do enough science/math coursework to get a job teaching science. I do want to study science...but do I want to teach it?
I dunno. Last time I worked this stupid job I went back to school for a degree in CIS...we saw how that turned out. Boredom does strange things to the mind. I probably need to keep doing the grownup job thing until my car is paid off though. :( Then I can go back to school.

No comments:
Post a Comment