Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Real Science Behind Sci Fi

I read a lot of fantasy...I like some sci fi. I actually prefer science fiction of the dystopic variety, especially the biological. Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion about a clone boy's exclusion from humanity is a personal favorite.

I don't usually like hard science fiction, but I like real science. That in mind, I thought I would share some recent article finds that touch on classic science fiction topics:

CERN's big steps with the study of anti-matter is really interesting, and it breaks down the basic science fiction concepts of Star Trek and offshoots like Futurama (which I prefer). I've read about this in multiple places, but I think PCMag.com, of all places covers it pretty well.

I also love New Scientist's "When the multiverse and many-worlds collide." What science fiction has been hypothesizing forever has become published scientific theory in drawing on quantum mechanics and math.

Last but not least, Jurassic Park made the idea popular, but Jack Horner talks about the reality of creating dinosaurs in a funny TEDtalk, except he's starting with a chicken instead of an amber-trapped insect.

If you want to geek out on science stuff, I highly recommend New Scientist. It's my personal favorite, and they don't skip out on much. They've got technology, physics and math, science in society, environment, health, and life, etc., etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment