Quite a while ago, I began reading Water for Elephants. I've wanted to read it for a long time but just never got around to it. Then the movie came out, and I thought, "I have to read it now before it gets spoiled by common knowledge."
Even though it took me a while to read the book, it has nothing to do with it not being engaging enough. I liked it almost from the start, but life has been busy. I haven't had time.
I picked it up again this weekend and wasn't really able to put it down since. Tonight, I stayed up way too late so that I could finish it. "Just one more chapter," I'd say to myself. You know how that goes. I couldn't stop until I was done.
It is a dark and beautiful book. It shows some of the ugliest faces of humanity in gruesome openness. It depicts a gritty life, extending into senility. And yet somehow it captures hope.
This is one of the best books I have ever read, and I've read a lot.
I felt the same way, great book! You need LOTS of cookies!!! Since Colin is delusional and thinks the wheat flour in your cookies increases his whole grain intake we should make some....maybe this weekend?
ReplyDelete