Thursday, June 28, 2012

Catholic Priorities

As a Catholic, I have been asked to set aside all other worthy aims and vote for Republicans because they tend to be prolife. Saving the unborn trumps all other causes. I still think it's a worthwhile fight but I'm sick of the attitude that all other battles are moot.

As a Catholic I care about a lot of other things. Adam and Eve were supposedly put on this earth to tend a garden, but we're not being very good stewards of the Earthly garden we live on. We abuse it with mining and pollution, with short-term industrial aims. As a Catholic, I'm a steward of the Earth, and I'm tired of Republicans not caring.

As a Catholic, I have been told to be pro-immigration. I take this to heart, and I think too many other Catholics ignore it in favor of only taking care of people in this country. Does our charity end at our borders?  As a Catholic, I care about all people, and I don't discriminate based on country of origin.

As a Catholic, I'm supposed to follow the example of Jesus. You know, the guy who was charitable and kind to the heathens, and scolded his own people for their legalism. He didn't take political action and try to change the Roman law for the benefit of his own faith. He was kind to those who were different so that they would openly choose the Christian faith.

If I force you not to sin does that save your soul? Nope, I'm pretty sure that requires a change of heart. And what oppressed, belittled person is going to embrace their oppressor?

My faith does not extend into creating laws that force women to adhere to my religious values. My faith does give me any rights to prevent you from expressing your faith. My faith does not provide me with grounds to deny housing or marriage to same-sex couples. My faith does not give me any rights to treat other human beings with less than perfect charity.

So if I ask myself which party embodies the principles of my faith more, I can look to the Democratic Party. As an economically moderate conservative, I have HUGE problems with how they handle things, but as a Catholic, I genuinely believe they have principles I believe in--principles based in charity not finances.




2 comments:

  1. I think the message of this post would also work with the tagline, "As a Christian," and would behoove many Christians to read! = )

    ReplyDelete