Sunday, December 16, 2012

"Chicken Noodle" and Art

The tall other came to visit this weekend. We usually cook with each other, but my cupboards were bare, and the fridge was pretty empty. My food amounted to some carrots, celery, and a coupon for some organic chicken, so we decided upon chicken noodle soup.

Then I remembered I had potatoes and Chris requested what he knows as "chicken noodle." In elementary school they used to serve up chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes with a buttered roll on the side. The kids would fill their roll with the taters and soup and have a pretty carb-tastic sandwich.

My school had no such delicacies. In fact, I don't remember a school hot lunch from my childhood that I would recall as delicious the way he did chicken noodle.

We decided to skip the rolls for our childhood school lunch cooking adventure and ran off the grocery store to gather the goods needed--a whole chicken, a white onion, and some egg noodles. Chris chopped up the chicken then browned it and the veggies. The whole mess went into the crockpot, and we ran off to the art museum to wander around while it cooked.

The art was so-so, and I thought it was strange to see an Egyptian bust from 860 BC right next to a weird painting from the 1980s, but I suppose it's hard to organize such a small museum.

One of the security people at the museum pointed out to us a painting on exhibit that showed, in its background, another painting (by another artist). The painting that appeared in the background was of the first artists wife, and it was kind of cool that he included a painting of his wife by another artist in the background of his own painting. 

Post-museum wandering, we returned home to a pretty tasty-smelling apartment. We hadn't eaten anything but a snack since breakfast, so I started the mashed potatoes and Chris started the noodles so that we could finish our dinner. The taters were whipped up with with butter and cream because we both eat indulgently.

The end result was heavenly and definitely had a home-cooking comfort to it--creamy, and salty, and messy.

2 comments:

  1. This post does nothing but make me hungry. Fortunately, Pete cooked a delicious soup tonight along with homemade sourdough bread. Mmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete made homemaade sourdough? Awww man. I am jealous.

      Delete