Thursday, March 3, 2011

Playing it Upbeat

My last post displays a certain degree of whininess, so let's throw that out the window, and reflect on what's been accomplished.

1. I found a line of research inquiry for Indian Children's Literature that is not only resulting in a source list, but I'm excited about my paper. What poor English graduate student wouldn't love to be perusing articles on ecology and paleogeography, escaping the world of literary criticism? Well most, but I'm excited because I tend to be more sciencey than a lot of my peers. Last spring I looked at linguistic research, last semester I worked with articles from sociology, this time I get to talk about the environment. Win, win, win.

2. My major professor cornered me in the copy room to ask about my project (which I have been working on). While I am embarrassed that she needed to do so, it's the scary motivation I needed. Today is officially project day. She will have a draft tomorrow. I like having a motivating deadline. This was a great kick in the rear.

3. I organized all my teaching materials and class materials the other day and am operating at full efficiency.

4. The first major assignment for technical communications is done.

5. I am a third of the way through my book review book, and the book review isn't due for weeks. Take that usual habits of procrastination. Take note, while I am kicking my own procrastination in the rear right now, I still produce very good work at the last minute. This is more a question of sanity and flexibility.

6. My sister called to share with me a posting she thought "sounded like me." Boy was she right. It's the job of my dreams--tech writing nerdism at its best, and the company has totally charmed me with the About section on their website. I'm preparing materials to submit.

7. My other sister emailed me a post this morning that is also quite good. It's not as perfect, but I think it sounds like fun too. Her miraculous find post-undergrad is what got me my first real job where I had no connection to the company. I have awesome siblings.

Well, I would love to keep chatting, but I've been wordy enough. Also, I'm supposed to follow Chris to a mechanic so that he can drop off his car for some brake work. He'll be here in 35 minutes, and I haven't showered. Never fear, if I can get home and prep for our anniversary dinner in 10 minutes. This is cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment