Sunday, March 18, 2012

Butternut Squash and Turkey Casserole

Okay, so this turned out pretty good.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp black bepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt (for squash)
  • 1 large shallot
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 12 oz whole wheat penne pasta
  • 3/4 cup shredded provolone (3 oz)
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (1.5 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (for cheese sauce)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup flour

First thing's first, my methods do not necessarily follow the healthy tips recommended by Cooking Light. I am of the mind that I would rather use oil than cooking spray because cooking spray is weird and chemical, bla, bla, bla. I care more about reading the ingredients in what I purchase than the nutrition facts. I don't like my food to be overly processed or full of weird chemicals. I want to eat food, not lab experiments. My recipe most assuredly has more calories than theirs. If you'd like to try theirs, buy the cookbook--it's a great cookbook.

So here's what I did.

Prepared Butternut Squash:
Heated the oven to 425 and began cubing my butternut squash. When the squash was all in 1-inch cubes, I tossed it in a bowl of with the olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, the black pepper, and rosemary. Then I dumped it on a cookie sheet and threw it in the oven. It needs about 30-40 minutes. When it's done, increase the oven temp to 450.

Cooked the Pasta:
I started the boiling some water for my pasta, and then I did some of the prep work below for the turkey and shallots. Then I threw in the pasta to cook it, and continued with the turkey mix. When the pasta was soft, I drained out the water, rinsed it with some cold water, and left it waiting in the sink while I finished up the turkey and began the cheese sauce.

Prepared Turkey and Shallot
Diced up the shallot and tossed it in the bowl I had previously used to toss the squash (less dishes). Set out a large skillet and began heating it on medium. Then I threw cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and cumin into my bowl with the shallot. After that I dumped in the ground turkey and mixed it all up with my hands. I completed this process by browning the whole mix in my skillet.

Prepared the Cheese Sauce:
Last but not least, I set aside my shredded provolone and parmesan so they would be ready. Then I put a large sauce pan (actually my pressure cooker) on the stove on medium heat. I put the flour and 1/2 tsp salt in. Then I began pouring the milk in about a 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly. I let it come to a boil and cooked it until it thickened just a bit (about a minute). At that point, I removed it from the heat and dumped in the provolone cheese, stirring it until the cheese melted.

Put It All Together:
Then in went the pasta and the turkey with the cheese sauce, and I mixed it all up. This all was dumbed and spread out in my 9 x 13 inch glassware pan. I spread out the now ready butternut squash over the top of it. Last, but not least, I sprinkled the parmesan over the top and popped that sucker into the oven for 10 minutes, just to melt the cheese.

Overall, it tastes pretty good, but I think I will add some crushed tomato to the turkey mix next time. It's not vegetabley enough for me. I might also make some extra provolone cheese sauce to drizzle over the top before baking. I added pasta and more meat to this recipe already, so if I add tomatoes too, I'm gonna need more gooey cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment