Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Proper Villain

So, in continuation of the thoughts of yesterday, I have realized that I don't think I can write a proper villain.

I've always had some issues with my novel's villain. It's a fantasy novel; he should be dripping with evil, though charming. I have these requirements of him, but that's about all he is at the moment. Actually, all he happens to be is charming. I don't know how to write evil. I can't get into that mindframe at all.

For one, I don't genuinely believe in human evil. There are evil acts, but I don't believe any human is evil. Technically, this character is not exactly human, but he's humanoid, and that's a problem for my imagination.

So how do I write this evil character? I'm not sure. If I really try to get into it, will it make me a bit batty or evil myself? CS Lewis was clear that in writing The Screwtape Letters from the point of view of a demon he risked losing something of himself. Getting into the mindset of a demon tainted him, and he had to work hard to get it out.

So do I indulge in my evil sides so that I can become this character when I write him the way I do my other characters? Or do I risk inauthenticity? I don't know.

Here's a fabulous Toni Morrison quote that I can't help but share in reflecting on the risks of writing about evil: "[C]haracters make claims, impose demands of imaginative accountability over and above the author's will to contain them."

No comments:

Post a Comment