Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shanksgiving

For some reason, I say "shanks" instead of "thanks," so I figure the holiday should be called Shanksgiving, even though that kind of sounds like I plan to stab people for the holiday. I do not.

Instead, Mom and I are going to the grocery store today to pick up everything we need. Mom is responsible for salad, which she is making at Kerrie's on Wednesday.

I am responsible for pies and potatoes.

The most important and uncompromising requirement is sour cream apple pie--a traditional dish in our very German family. Then of course, I'm making pumpkin pie too (after insane efforts to coordinate preferences--I had requests for pecan, some weird crustless pumpkin pie, etc).

Instead of standard mashed potatoes and a sweet potato casserole, I'm doing twice-baked sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I'm going to do the sweet potatoes in a super-healthy way since Kerrie has to avoid fat right now.

Beej is making green chili to go on the turkey and on the potatoes for those that want it. He's a good brother-in-law.

Kerrie is smoking a turkey and making our grandmother's stuffing.

It's the tastiest stuffing ever. Except I usually can't eat the leftovers because somehow the rosemary makes me want to gag when it has been in the microwave. I have the same problem with my own lamb dish. Rosemary reheated just does weird things to my senses.

Whelp, I best get off to the grocery store. Then Mom and I are headed to Target for some light shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment