I'm 25, and I still have no idea what I want to do or to be. Let's track my goals and how long they lasted.
Tech Writer -- February 2011 to present
Copy Editor -- November 2010 thru February 2011
PhD in Narratology or Sci-fi / Fantasy--August 2009 thru November 2010
No Idea -- December 2008 thru August 2009
Database Developer -- July 2008 thru December 2008
Novelist -- First few months after finishing undergrad
Copy Editor -- Last year of undergrad
Middle School English Teacher -- Almost the full first 3 years of undergrad
No Idea -- Junior into senior year, while trying to decide where to apply for college
Medical Examiner (autopsies) -- Sophomore into Junior year (high school)
Surgeon -- Freshman into Sophomore year (high school)
Novelist -- 7th Grade
Chef -- 8th Grade
Marine Biologist -- 5th & 6th Grades
No Idea -- I'm sure as a small person I probably thought I'd be a ballerina or a vet the most often.
The career plans that recur often and fill the gaps between "big scheme" aspirations are probably chef, novelist, and copy editor, so maybe I should focus my energy there. Except I don't want the lifestyle of a chef, and I don't want the pressure to write of a novelist. I guess I'll look back into copy editing.
I need a goal right now. I need something to drive me, but I don't have anything. I have zero motivation right now. Being an adult doesn't suit me...not that I can be a child again. That won't work. I need to find something that I can be passionate about that will pay the bills. My passions do not pay the bills, but I just can't focus or stay with something reasonable.
I also need to indulge my passion for biology. Damn you chemistry for steering me away from biology!
No comments:
Post a Comment