Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Subject: Typeface...the best reading I've done in a while.

So one of the assigned readings for Technical Communications for tomorrow is a couple chapters of Robin Williams's (no, not the actor) The Non-Designer's Design Book. I actually loved Chapter 8: Categories of Type. It's probably one of the clearest texts I've ever read on typeface, and who wouldn't enjoy learning about it from a woman who argues the you can generally label a font decorative "if the thought of reading an entire book in that font makes you wanna throw up" (90).

I also appreciate that she lumps her principles of design into 4 basic categories that form the acronym CRAP: contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity. She doesn't actually say they form the acronym CRAP, but she alludes to it, and there is no way I will forget her principles of design. I wish I would have read this a little over a week ago. I just taught my students 6 principles of design out of another text. Those 6 principles don't form an easy to remember acronym. Sad.

I'm almost done with Technical Communication homework for the week. I've read through Wednesday for Indian Children's Lit. I think the rest of the day I will crank out another 5-10 pages of master's project perfection. I could be grading, but I really think I need to get a draft in and put everything else on hold in the meantime. I want to have a copy to my entire committee before spring break. It's a good thing the 11 pages I have are ridiculously polished so that I don't have to worry about them anymore.

Major goals for the remainder of the week:
  1. Complete Master's Project Draft to Naomi by tomorrow (Wednesday).
  2. Read Rabindranath Tagore's "Stories" by Friday. 
  3. Read 1 Source and Write 1 Annotation for Indian Children's Lit by Friday. 
  4. Grade Students' Correspondence Portfolios by Friday or Monday.
  5. Finish The Smile of Vanuvati Friday evening; write a book review on it Saturday.
  6. Read The River for Indian Children's Lit on Saturday.
  7. Commit to finishing Grading on Sunday if I haven't wheedled away at it completely by Friday.
  8. Read articles for Tech Comm on Monday.
That will take me through the requirements preceding spring break. Hopefully by Monday I will get some feedback from Naomi about my draft and can have a revision to my whole comittee by Friday the 18th.

For spring break, I will wallow in freedom...in my dreams. Instead I will read like a mad person and write annotations for my Annotated Bibliography for Indian Children's Lit. I will also try to write my Position Paper for Tech Comm so that I don't have to worry about it later.

Dear Lord, I am collecting more student portfolios on Monday; they will need graded, and I lose most of Thursday to subbing for Anna. Will this ever end? Is it May 13th yet? Did I mention that I have a final after graduation on May 13th?

Cat says its time to stop making terrifying lists and whining. She thinks I need to pet her. She keeps trying to lay on my keyboard. Can I  read 20 more pages of Tech Comm while petting the cat? I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment